Grenada is a city in Grenada County, Mississippi, United States. The population was 14,879 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Grenada County.
Grenada County was formed by an act of the Legislature on May 9, 1879 from lands taken from Carroll, Choctaw, Tallahatchie, and Yalobusha Counties. The city of Grenada, which was incorporated on February 27, 1836, was the largest town among the four counties which were pared to form Grenada County, and it was the natural choice to serve as the new county's seat of government.
The land from which Grenada County was formed was a part of the Choctaw Indian lands ceded to the United States under the treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek in 1830. The earliest known white settlers there were missionaries who established an Indian mission school in 1815 near what later became the town of Elliott.