Newland is a town in Avery County, North Carolina, United States. The population was 704 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Avery County. Before its founding, the area was known as Old Fields or Old Fields of Toe. In 1911 it was renamed Newland, after North Carolina Lieutenant Governor William C. Newland, and simultaneously became the County Seat for Avery County.
Newland is located at 36°5′11″N 81°55′36″W / 36.08639°N 81.92667°W / 36.08639; -81.92667 (36.086509, -81.926664).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.7 square miles (1.7 km²), all of it land.