Underwood is a city in McLean County, North Dakota in the United States. The population was 778 at the 2010 census. Underwood was founded along a Soo Line Railroad line between Bismarck and Max in 1903 and named after Fred D. Underwood, vice president of the railroad at the time.
Underwood is located at 47°27′22″N 101°8′23″W / 47.45611°N 101.13972°W / 47.45611; -101.13972 (47.456080, -101.139601).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.9 square miles (2.3 km²), all of it land.