Friend is a city in Saline County, Nebraska, in the United States. As of the 2000 census, the city population was 1,174.
The city is named for Charles E. Friend who homesteaded the land and initially named the community Friendville. He operated a dry goods store and post office. In 1873 the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad named its new train station there "Friend."
The National Greyhound Association was founded in the community in 1906 (called at the time National Coursing Association).