Imperial is a city in Chase County, Nebraska, United States. The population was 1,982 at the 2000 census. It is the county seat of Chase County.
The original town of Imperial was built on land homesteaded by Thomas Mercier and M.L. Goodrich. These men gave a town lot to anyone who would put up a building and help to start the town. Mercier was the first Post Master and took office on December 14, 1885.
The railroad right of way was graded to Imperial in 1888. The rails reached Imperial on August 15, 1892. It was built by a division of the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad. This line left the main line near Culbertson and terminated in Imperial.