Gifford Park, NE
See a problem? Let us know!
The land that comprises Gifford Park was part of one of the first claims in Omaha City, made by the first mayor of Omaha, Jesse Lowe. The community is named after Dr. Harold Gifford, Sr. who donated the property that became Gifford Park at 35th and Davenport Streets to the City of Omaha in 1912 for a neighborhood park. It was added to the city park system in 1916. The area of 33rd and California was a busy commercial center in the 1920s and 30s. The area included grocery stores, an upholstery shop, dentist, a delicatessen, tavern, bakery, theatre, barber shop, and a variety store. Other businesses in the area included a filling station, ice house, the California Beauty School, garage, butcher shop and drug store.
Several schools served the community. They included Yates Elementary School at 3260 Davenport Street, Tech High School at North 30th and Cuming Street, and the Duchesne Academy of the Sacred Heart at North 36th and Burt Streets.