Old Market, NE


Omaha NE
Reviews
See Availability
{{::location.tagLine.value.text}}

Sponsored Topics


See a problem? Let us know!
The Old Market is a neighborhood located in downtown Omaha, Nebraska, United States, and is bordered by South 10th Street. The neighborhood has many restaurants, art galleries and upscale shopping. The area retains its brick paved streets from the turn of the century, horse-drawn carriages, and covered sidewalks in some areas. It is not uncommon to see a variety of street performers, artists, and other vendors.
The area is designated on the National Register of Historic Places as a historic district, and borders the former site of the Jobbers Canyon Historic District, as well as the still-existent Omaha Rail and Commerce Historic District and the Warehouses in Omaha MPS. There is a walking tour of historic buildings available from the Omaha Chamber of Commerce. There are also several specifically noted historic buildings within the district.
Built to sell groceries wholesale and retail to the city of Omaha and beyond, the Old Market district was preceded by the Market House in Omaha's Jefferson Square. The Old Market district was starting to be built when the Market House still stood. They included the P. E. Iler Block, which is a contributing property to the district. Built in 1901, the six story building was originally built as a warehouse. A 1990 rehabilitation converted the building into retail and office space. The Windsor Hotel is a three-story brick building built in 1885. The building was converted into rental residential and commercial space in 1985. The Broatch Building was built in 1880 and expanded in 1887. The McClure-Smith Building is a two-story brick building that was built around 1878. Originally a steam bakery, a 1985 rehabilitation converted the building to office and retail space. The A. I. Root Building is a three-story brick building constructed in 1904 as offices. The building was doubled in size by the addition of an equal-size portion in 1909. In 1993 that building was converted to retail and residential spaces. Built in 1894 this five-story building is located in Omaha's Old Market Historic District. The Morse-Coe Shoe Company, now known as the Mayfield Apartments was built as a warehouse and light industry building in 1894. A 2002 rehabilitation converted the structure to a mixed-use function of apartments, retail space and parking. The George H. Lee Building was built in 1903 as warehouse and office space.