History/?php endif; ? Holy Sepulchre Cemetery was founded in 1871, more than 135 years ago. Constantly evolving, yet never straying from the fundamental guidelines established in our Catholic tradition, we continue to maintain a presence in the community as a sacred place of respect, reflection, and ultimately, of the celebration of life. Beginning of Holy Sepulchre Cemetery St. Patrick's was the first Catholic parish in Rochester, and opened its small downtown graveyard in 1823. The space quickly filled up, and area Catholics had to buy burial space in common cemeteries until 1839. At that time, the second St. Patrick's cemetery was built on the south side of the city at Pinnacle Hill, and all members of the local Irish parishes were buried there. Four German Catholic parishes opened four separate cemeteries between 1844 and 1864: Ss. Peter & Paul's on Maple Street, St. Joseph's on East Main Street at Goodman, St. Boniface's on South Clinton near the Pinnacle, and Holy Family on Maple Street. Bishop Bernard J. McQuaid was named Rochester's first Bishop in 1868, and quickly realized the need for a single burial ground for all of Rochester's Catholics, of all nationalities, for generations to come. In 1871, after much planning and research, he dedicated and solemnly consecrated Holy Sepulchre Cemetery. Located just four miles from downtown Rochester, the Bishop secured a 110-acre tract of farmland located along both sides of Charlotte Boulevard (now known as Lake Avenue). An estimated 10, 000 people attended the consecration ceremony, a strong indication of the community support for the Cemetery.