Woodland Park, NJ
Woodland Park Map
Woodland Park was formed as a borough under the name West Paterson, by an Act of the New Jersey Legislature on March 25, 1914, from portions of Little Falls Township, based on the results of a referendum held on May 1, 1914.
On November 4, 2008, the citizens of West Paterson voted to change the official name of the borough from West Paterson to Woodland Park. The new name retains the initials "W.P." and is a reference to the community's wooded areas. At a November 10, 2008, community meeting attended by 200 residents, a number of residents demanded that a recount be held if the official results showed that the measure had passed. And in case the recount demand was unsuccessful, the group discussed filing a petition to change the name back to West Paterson, including discussion of how to raise the $33,000 needed to cover the cost of a special election in spring 2009 for voters to reconsider the name. By November 25, 2008, the provisional vote counts had been tallied, and the name change won by 25 votes. The Mayor and Council approved Resolution R08-253 at the council meeting on Dec. 17, changing the borough's name to the Borough of Woodland Park, effective Jan. 1, 2009. A referendum held on November 3, 2009 affirmed the name change.