Tuxedo Park, NY


Sponsored Topics

Tuxedo Park is a village in Orange County, New York, United States. The population was 731 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Poughkeepsie–Newburgh–Middletown, NY Metropolitan Statistical Area as well as the larger New York–Newark–Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA Combined Statistical Area. The name is derived from a Native American word of the Lenape language, tucsedo, which is said to have more than one meaning.[citation needed]
Tuxedo Park is a village within the southern part of the town of Tuxedo, near New York Route 17 and the New York State Thruway.
What is now the village and the areas immediately surrounding it, were developed as a resort for Blue blood society in 1885 by Pierre Lorillard IV on property acquired by his grandfather, Pierre Lorillard II in 1790. At that time it became known as Tuxedo Park. The Park is located in the Ramapo Mountains and had acquired a reputation for undeveloped iron mines and, in consequence, a company formed in England and headed by Lord Sterling acquired a large tract in the neighborhood. The company built furnaces near Ringwood and on the Ramapo River and opened mines near Sterling Lake. Peter Lorillard organized the Tuxedo Club and the Tuxedo Park Association, as hunting and fishing preserve, and surrounded the property with a high game fence. This fence marked fairly accurately the present boundaries of the area restricted to use of the residents of Tuxedo Park. In 1924 the Tuxedo Securities Corporation acquired from the Estate of Peter Lorillard, deceased, all of the stock of the Tuxedo Park Association.