Wolfeboro is a town in Carroll County, New Hampshire, United States. The population was 6,269 at the 2010 census. A venerable resort area situated beside Lake Winnipesaukee, Wolfeboro includes the village of Wolfeboro Falls. The community is home to Wentworth State Park.
The main village of the town, where 2,838 people resided at the 2010 census, is defined as the Wolfeboro census-designated place (CDP), and is located at the head of Wolfeboro Bay on Lake Winnipesaukee, at the junction of New Hampshire routes 28 and 109.
The town was granted by Colonial Governor Benning Wentworth in 1759 to four young men of Portsmouth, and named Wolfeborough in honor of English General James Wolfe, who had been victorious at Quebec in 1759. In 1763, 2,300 acres (930 ha) were added to the 60 acres (24 ha) reserved for the governor. Colonial Governor John Wentworth, his nephew, established an estate on the site, known as Kingswood. Built in 1771 beside what is now called Lake Wentworth, this was the first summer country estate in northern New England. Settled in 1768, the town was incorporated in 1770.