Maxwell is a village in Colfax County, New Mexico, United States. The population was 274 at the 2000 census. Unlike nearby Springer, the village has been losing population due to the rural exodus. Maxwell was established in 1879 as a railroad town on the Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe. It was named in honor of Lucien Maxwell, who provided the land for the original townsite from his Maxwell Land Grant.
Maxwell is located at 36°32′22″N 104°32′33″W / 36.53944°N 104.5425°W / 36.53944; -104.5425 (36.539487, -104.542630).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 0.5 square miles (1.2 km²), all of it land.