Grady T. Allred Sr., the founder of K & W Cafeterias, entered the restaurant business as an employee of a small restaurant in Greensboro, N.C., known as the Carolinian Coffee Shop. Sometime later, the initials K & W were adopted and K & W Restaurant was established. Allred became the sole owner of K & W Restaurant in 1940. When fire damage forced it to close for several months, the restaurant underwent repairs and restoration. When it reopened it was as a restaurant/cafeteria combination. Allred eventually converted the unit entirely to cafeteria-style food service. From the original restaurant establishment, which seated 110 people, K & W has expanded to nearly 40 cafeterias and more than 2,500 employees throughout North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia and West Virginia. Menu items include salads, entrees, vegetables, desserts, breads and a variety of nonalcoholic beverages. K & W Cafeterias has a location in Winston-Salem, N.C.