Caliente (pronounced /kæliɛnti/), formerly known as Culverwell and Calientes is a town in Lincoln County, Nevada, United States. Its elevation is 4,300 feet (1,310 meters). The population was 1,123 at the 2000 census. The town's name originated from the nearby hot springs, as "caliente" is the Spanish word meaning "hot".
Caliente was founded in 1901 on Culverwell Ranch (or just Culverwell), built on land owned by William and Charles Culverwell. The town was initially given the name of Calientes, due to the hot springs present in the area, but later in the year a post office was erected and workers removed the "s" from the name of the town. In 1905, the Union Pacific railroad was completed, followed by the construction of the train depot in the style of Spanish mission architecture. The train depot, built in 1923, is now a museum that exhibits historical information. The town once reached a peak of over 5,000 residents, but its population continually declined.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.9 square miles (4.8 km²), all of it land.