Castorland is a village in the southeast part of the Town of Denmark in Lewis County, New York, United States; it is north of Lowville and southeast of Carthage. The population was 306 at the 2000 census. The name is derived from the scientific name for "Beaver".
The village name means "Land of the Beaver." The name stems from a colony of refugees from the French Revolution, established in 1792 to provide a new home away from the violence in France. The land, 210,000 acres (850 km2), was originally part of Macomb's Purchase. It was purchased by La Compagnie de New York. "Castorland" is a literal translation of the old Indian name of the area, Couch-sach-ra-ga. Due to many reverses, including harsh winters, poor planning, loss of livestock and funds, the colony was dissolved in 1814. Many of the original settlers from the Castorland colony returned to Europe or moved to larger communities.
Castorland is located at 43°53′15″N 75°30′50″W / 43.8875°N 75.51389°W / 43.8875; -75.51389 (43.887379, -75.514002).