Central Islip, NY
Central Islip is a hamlet and census-designated place (CDP) in Suffolk County, New York, U.S.. The population was 31,950 at the 2000 census.
Prior to arrival of European settlers, the Secatogue tribe of Algonquin Indians lived in the area now known as Central Islip. In 1683, William Nicoll (son of Matthias Nicoll) purchased a large tract of land, which later became the largest manor on Long Island. He named it "Islip" after his hometown of Islip, Northamptonshire, in England.
In 1842, the Long Island Rail Road's eastward expansion reached the area, and Suffolk Station was opened. Suffolk Station became the commercial center for the area, and the name "Central Islip" was thus born.