Chittenango is a village located inside the Town of Sullivan in Madison County, New York, United States. The population was 5,081 at the 2010 census.
Initial growth of this village can be largely attributed to the building of the Erie Canal which officially opened in 1825, joining Buffalo on Lake Erie with Albany, the capital of New York, and the Hudson River. Chittenango was not directly on the waterway, but the Chittenango Canal Company, incorporated in 1818, constructed a canal 1.5 miles in length from Chittenango to the Erie Canal, which passes just north of the village. The village became a virtual canal town upon the construction of the Chittenango Canal Boat Landing, which featured a three-bay dry dock where canal boats were built and repaired. The canal brought prosperity, growth and expansion to the village. It created a need for inns, hotels and restaurants, and area farms and factories found the canal useful as an inexpensive and easy way to ship goods further along the canal or beyond. Because the canal connected to the Hudson River, boats were able to ship goods south to the metropolis of Manhattan.
Development increased considerably due to John B. Yates, who opened and operated grist and saw mills, woolen mills, stores, and founded the village's first church in 1828, the Dutch Reformed Church, now the First Presbyterian Church of Chittenango.