Colton is a town in St. Lawrence County, New York, USA. The population was 1,453 at the 2000 census. The town, originally named Matildaville, is named after early settler Jesse Colton Higley.
The Town of Colton is located in the southeast part of the county and is south of the Village of Potsdam.
The first land patents were issued in 1776. The first settlement occurred around 1825 near Colton village in the northern part of the town.