East Greenbush, NY
East Greenbush is a town in Rensselaer County, New York, USA. The population was 15,560 at the 2000 census. The word Greenbush is derived from the Dutch "Greenen Bosch," referring to the pine woods that originally covered the land. The first settlement of the land now known as East Greenbush was made by tenants under Patroon Kiliaen van Rensselaer around 1630. The town was formed in 1855 as the town of Clinton, the name changing to East Greenbush three years later. It is mostly suburban along its major highways and rural in the southwestern and northeastern corners.
Interstate 90 passes through the town. It contains the west (or south) end of US Route 4 and the northern terminus of NY Route 9J; as well as US Route 9 and US Route 20. The last two are concurrent, under the name Columbia Turnpike, and is often referred to by locals as "9 and 20".
East Greenbush was part of the Manor of Rensselaerswyck, and Albany County prior to Rensselaer County's creation in 1791. The town of Clinton was created on February 23, 1855 from the town of Greenbush at the same time as the town of North Greenbush. Three years later on April 14, 1858 the name was changed to East Greenbush by New York State Laws of 1858, Chapter 194. The town originally included land that is now the industrial and residential southend of the city of Rensselaer including Fort Crailo, this was annexed to Rensselaer in 1902.