East Islip, NY
East Islip is a hamlet and CDP in the Town of Islip, Suffolk County, New York, (USA). At the time of the 2000 census, the CDP had 4,578 households and a population of 14,078.
Originally referred to as "East of Islip," the name was acquired in 1890 from the estate of William Nicoll, an English aristocrat who purchased surrounding land on the 29th of November, 1683, to erect a family residence. Nicoll's purchase comprised 51,000 acres (210 km²) from the Secatogue Indians, reaching as far as Bayport, to the East, Babylon to the West and Ronkonkoma, to the North. His mansion, Islip Grange, named after his family's ancestral estate at Northampshire, England, stood near the shoreline of what is now Heckscher State Park. East Islip, as well as many hamlets along Long Island's south shore, was once an enclave for some of the nations wealthiest families.