Frankfort is a town in Herkimer County, New York, United States. The population was 7,478 at the 2000 census. The town is named after one of its earliest settlers, Lawrence (Lewis) Frank. The town of Frankfort includes a village also called Frankfort. The town is east of Utica. The Erie Canal passes along the north border of the town.
The town was settled around 1723, but much of the area had to be abandoned during the French and Indian War. The early town was a region assigned by patent to various landowners. It was resettled again before 1794.
The town was established in 1796 from part of the town of German Flatts. In 1798, the northwest part of Frankfort was made part of the town of Deerfield.