Friendship is a town in Allegany County, New York, USA. The population was 1,927 at the 2000 census. The town's name was adopted to mark the resolution of earlier conflicts.
The Town of Friendship is near the center of Allegany County and is northeast of Olean, New York.
The region was first settled around 1806. Originally, the town gained the name of "Bloody Corners" due to the high incidence of feuding. The Town of Friendship was formed in 1815 from part of the Town of Caneadea. Later, new towns were formed from parts of Friendship: Cuba (1822), Bolivar (1825) and a part of Wirt (1838).