Gardiner is a town in Ulster County, New York, USA. The population was 5,238 at the 2000 census.
The Town of Gardiner is in the south-central part of the county.
The first settlers in the region were Huguenots from France. Gardiner was created from parts of New Paltz, Rochester, and Shawangunk by an act of the New York State Legislature on April 2, 1853. The first town meeting was on May 17, 1853. It was named for Lieutenant Governor Addison Gardiner.