Ghent is a town in Columbia County, New York, United States, with a ZIP code of 12075. The population was 5,276 at the 2000 census. 2004 estimates put the population at 5,316.
The Town of Ghent is centrally located in the county. Ghent is northeast of the City of Hudson.
Around 1735, early settlers, exploiting areas cleared by the natives, moved into the area. In 1818, the Town of Ghent was founded from parts of the Towns of Chatham, Claverack, and Kinderhook. The name has its origin in the Flemish city Ghent, in Flanders. Located at Ghent is the historic Van Valkenburgh-Isbister Farm, added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2006.