Guilford is a town in Chenango County, New York, United States. The town is on the east border of the county. The population was 3,046 at the 2000 census.
The land was purchased from the Oneida tribe in 1785. The town was first settled around 1787. One of the first settlements were in what is now known as East Guilford, by the Mercereau brothers(who were actually Revolutionary War spies fo George Washington). They built a mill on Guilford Creek in Indian Orchard Falls, along the Catskill Turnpike.
Guilford was formed from the town of Oxford in 1813 as "Eastern." The name became "Guilford" in 1817. The town was called by an older name, "Fayette," for the early part of its history during the time it was in Tioga County.