Liverpool is a village located in Onondaga County, New York, United States. The population was 2,505 at the 2000 census. The name was adopted from the city of Liverpool in the United Kingdom. The village is in the western part of the town of Salina and is northwest of Syracuse, of which it is a suburb.
The area was originally inhabited by the Iroquois, starting in the 16th century. In the mid-17th century, Canadian French Jesuits visited the area, setting up missions. These were not very permanent, however. An example of these missions is Ste. Marie among the Iroquois, just outside the village. Once the Erie Canal and Oswego Canals were built, the area was settled by Irish canal workers, Yankee settlers, and, later, German immigrants. The early recorded name for the village was "Little Ireland."
Jonathan Danforth, brother of Asa Danforth, who was the founder of Onondaga Valley, was first settler in the region east of Onondaga Lake which forms the village of Liverpool today. Danforth moved there in 1794 to manufacture salt.