Green Springs, OH
Green Springs is a village in Sandusky and Seneca counties in the U.S. state of Ohio. The population was 1,247 at the 2000 census.
Its "claim to fame" is Mineral Springs, the largest natural sulfur spring in the world. St. Francis Health Care Centre is located there.
The Green Springs area was originally inhabited by the Seneca Indians. But in 1830, the Seneca were forced to move to reservations in the West because of a policy of Indian removal developed by the administration of Andrew Jackson. Then, in 1831, Jacob Stem, the founder of Green Springs, bought the land from the government. He purchased about 1,200 acres (4.9 km2) within Sandusky and Seneca counties, including the sulfur spring. It has been told by older citizens of that time that he really did not get the spring then, but later on bought it from the Indians for 12 bags of wheat, 12 bags of oats, 12 bags of corn, and a mule. The village was originally called Stemtown, named after the founder. It was later called Green Springs, named from the color of the water from the spring.