Hubbard is a city in Trumbull County, Ohio, United States. It is formed from part of Hubbard Township, which was formed from the Connecticut Western Reserve. The population was 8,284 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Youngstown–Warren–Boardman, OH-PA Metropolitan Statistical Area.
In 1795, Nehemiah Hubbard, Jr., an energetic and respected merchant from Middletown, Connecticut, purchased a plot of about 15,274 acres (62 km2), known as Hubbard Township. After purchasing the Hubbard Township property, Nehemiah Hubbard made his first sale of land to Samuel Tylee, a surveyor in Connecticut, and engaged him as his agent in this new territory. Tylee and others then came to find and measure plots suitable for sale to early settlers.
Until 1861 Hubbard remained a country-crossroads with relatively few houses or inhabitants; however, when the coal fields began to develop, the corners rapidly became a village. The increase in population was due for the most part to the emigration of people from Europe, people in search of the opportunity of a better way of life. By 1868 the village had attained the required population and it became an incorporated municipality.