Miamisburg (mye-AM-eez-burg) is a city in Montgomery County, Ohio, United States. The population was 20,181 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Dayton Metropolitan Statistical Area. Miamisburg is known for its large industry (mainly for its nuclear operations during World War II) and retail factors (such as the Dayton Mall), which is actually located in Miami twp., but is mainly known for being the home to the Miamisburg Mound. Many large corporations are located in Miamisburg such as LexisNexis, which is in Miami Twp., Dayco, X-spine, Isotec, Teradata, and Motoman (Miami Twp.) Miamisburg borders Miami Township, Springboro, and West Carrollton. The sister city of Miamisburg is Owen Sound, Ontario.
Originally, the small community had been known as "Hole's Station" since about 1797, when Zachariah Hole settled there with his family from Virginia and built a stockade on the west bank of the Miami River opposite from the mouth of Bear Creek. Along with the stockade brought Squatters, Surveying Parties, and other settlers who had taken grants out for them to live in the local cabins until they could build their own ; hence the little community became known as "Hole's Station". Meanwhile more settlers poured into the town from all over but mainly from Pennsylvania. By 1822 the unincorporated community had become a village and achieved city status about 100 years later.
By 1827, the Miami and Erie Canal was under construction which passed through the community and made transportation of people and goods very convenient. The formal opening took place in January 1829, when the “Governor Brown” was the first packet boat to go through the settlement. Also that year the first boats from Cincinnati had arrived and passed through Miamisburg to get to Dayton. By 1834 the canal had been extended to Piqua and many businesses along the river grew. The 1840s and the 1850s were brought the best to the canals. The canal can also be credited for bringing in new Irish citizens during the famine in Ireland. A local resident George Kinder shipped bags of food to Ireland also containing his addresses and many papers stating that he was hiring immigrant workers. Years later there was a surge of Irish immigrants to the area and surrounding cities. But by the early 20th century the Canal was abandoned and later replaced by highways.