New Madison, OH
New Madison is a village in Darke County, Ohio, United States. As of the 2000 census, the village population was 817.
New Madison was platted by Zadock Smith in 1817 for purposes of land speculation, but his efforts failed; he was unable to sell any of the lots. Two years later, he sold the land to Ernestus Putnam, who replatted the village and began to sell lots in 1831; unlike Smith, Putnam saw the establishment of a successful community.:559 The first church in the community was a Presbyterian congregation.:561 While the community's first school was founded in its early years, the building was replaced by a substantial two-story structure in 1870; it in turn was replaced by a larger built in 1897.:562
New Madison is located at 39°58′7″N 84°42′30″W / 39.96861°N 84.70833°W / 39.96861; -84.70833 (39.968569, -84.708239).