Newcomerstown is a village in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, United States, 85 miles (137 km) east-northeast of Columbus. In the late 1770s, this was the largest Lenape village on the Tuscarawas River, with 700 residents. Chief Newcomer (Netawatwes) was the leader of the western Lenape here, and they called the village Gekelmukpechunk. Early European-American traders and settlers named the village Newcomerstown after the chief. Soon after the start of the American Revolutionary War, the Lenape moved west to Coshocton, Ohio.
In 1900, 2,659 people lived in Newcomerstown; in 1910, 2,943. The population was 4,008 at the 2000 census.
Newcomerstown is located at 40°16′28″N 81°36′9″W / 40.27444°N 81.6025°W / 40.27444; -81.6025 (40.274350, -81.602482), along the Tuscarawas River.