Northwood is a city in Wood County, Ohio, United States. The population was 5,471 at the 2000 census.
Northwood was originally Ross Township. It was the northernmost township in Wood County from its establishment on April 18, 1874 until December 1, 1962. Farms, gardens, orchards, and railroads covered the area located just south of east Toledo. In 1898 Edward Ford's glass factory was built along the Maumee River, which ultimately led to the incorporation of the village of Rossford in 1939 within the western portion of the township. Ross Township was then divided so that Rossford Township would serve as a barrier between Rossford and the remaining Ross Township. On December 1, 1962, Ross Township ceased to exist when it became incorporated as the city of Northwood, so aptly named because of its location at the top of Wood County. With its departure, Wood County dropped its number of townships from 20 to 19.
The original boundary of Ross Township can be observed by following the predominantly straight southern border of Northwood directly west into Rossford, tracing Elm Tree St. in a line directly to the Maumee River, and then along the Lucas County-Wood County border until it hits Ottawa County, and then runs south back to the starting point.