Norwood is the second most populous city in Hamilton County, Ohio, United States. The city is an enclave of the larger city of Cincinnati. The population was 21,675 at the 2000 census. Originally settled as an early suburb of Cincinnati in the wooded countryside north of the city, the area is characterized by older homes and tree-lined streets. Norwood is currently undergoing economic and social changes due to recent retail and business development.
The area now known as Norwood was settled in the early 19th century as a coach stop along the Montgomery Road turnpike near the present day intersection of Smith Road. The village was originally named Sharpsburg after an early settler named John Sharpe. It was informally referred to as "Northwood" due to its location north of Cincinnati and being heavily wooded countryside. Much of the area was horse farms or fruit and vegetable orchards. The Marietta and Cincinnati Railroad and Cincinnati, Lebanon and Northern Railway were built through the area, leading to increasing settlement in the countryside.
In 1873, a local dry goods merchant named L. C. Hopkins subdivided 30 acres (120,000 m2) of his own land near the intersection of Hopkins Avenue and Montgomery Road. Shortly thereafter, other subdivisions were planned. The area quickly developed into one of Cincinnati's original suburbs. It was at Hopkins’ suggestion that the name of Norwood was substituted for that of Sharpsburg.