Perrysburg is a city in Wood County, Ohio, United States, along the Maumee River. The population was 20,623 at the 2010 census. It is a suburb of Toledo, although it was founded before the now larger city.
The history of Perrysburg begins with the construction of Fort Meigs. When the war clouds of 1812 began to creep upon Northwest Ohio, fort construction began in February 1813 by soldiers under General William Henry Harrison. Harrison was General Anthony Wayne's former aide-de-camp and would later be elected as the country's ninth president. The construct was named Fort Meigs in honor of Ohio's fourth governor, Return Jonathan Meigs. Fort Meigs was constructed on a bluff above the Maumee River, and created from a design by army engineer Captain Eleazer D. Wood, for whom the county would be named. Two critical battles with the British would be fought at the fort during the War of 1812.
Early settlers in the area fled to Huron during the War of 1812 and returned settling in the floodplain below Fort Meigs, calling the settlement Orleans. They moved to higher ground after being floooded out. Perrysburg was surveyed and platted on April 26, 1816 by Maj. Pierre Charles L'Enfant (the only other city he platted was Washington, D.C.), and soon became a center for shipbuilding and commerce. It was named after Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry, naval commander during the War of 1812.