The village of Bowerston was settled in the early 19th century by Barnhard Bower and his brother John. When they first moved to the area, two mills were already built on the south side of Conotton Creek. One mill was a sawmill, the other a gristmill, and in 1804, they started to rebuild the mills. In 1816, the settlement called Bower's Mills was laid out and later it was called Bowersville and finally Bowerston. Bowerston was platted by David Bower, Henry Hoover, and Nathaniel Bower on August 21, 1851 and was filed in court August 2, 1852. The village was incorporated April 2, 1883.
Bowerston is located at 40°25?37?N 81°11?15?W / 40.42694°N 81.1875°W / 40.42694; -81.1875 (40.426806, -81.187523).