Faith United Methodist Church

15 W Columbus St
Canal Winchester OH 43110
Reviews
{{::location.tagLine.value.text}}

Sponsored Topics

Opening Hours

  • Mon: 6:45am-6pm
  • Tue: 6:45am-6pm
  • Wed: 6:45am-6pm
  • Thu: 6:45am-6pm
  • Fri: 6:45am-6pm

See a problem? Let us know!
The Faith United Methodist Church was organized in 1850 to fulfill the Great Commission given to us by the Lord Jesus Christ. Go ye therefore, and make disciples baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always even unto the end of the world. -Matthew 28: 19-20 Our beginnings were first recorded in the History of Madison Township, written by George F. Bareis and published in 1902. He wrote about Rev. James Gibruth and Andrew Murphy of the Worthington circuit serving as circuit ministers in Winchester beginning in 1838. Each circuit consisted of several places of worship scattered throughout a given area. The lay person or minister would ride on horseback from place to place spreading the gospel. This is how Methodism was introduced to the colonies. In fact, John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, started ministerial circuit riding in England. Rev. Wesley's portrait is found in the art glass of our sanctuary. From 1838 until 1850 members of Faith met on alternate weeks in the United Brethren meeting house. Then in 1850 a new building was erected on West Street. In 1878 it was enlarged and remodeled with the vestibule and tower being added. In the summer of 1901 it was decided to erect a new church building and a site was secured on West Street near High street. The cost of the lot was $350. In October of 1901, Architect J.C. Gault submitted plans for a 50 X 50 structure for the estimated sum of $4, 267.00. The plans were accepted and the foundation was laid during October and November as preparatory to building the structure in the spring of 1902. The new building was next improved in 1920 when the original gaslights were replaced by electricity. Two world wars touched lives of Faith UMC. In the fall of 1916 Rev. Frank Gillilan became pastor. Quoting his record during the World War the Canal Winchester circuit responded to every call with men, money and time. Our churches were closed for several weeks because coal could not be secured to heat the buildings. Following the scarcity of coal came the awful scourge of the flu. For two winters it was impossible to carry on successful church work because of the epidemic. Rev. Stanley Jeffrey arrived in June 1941. Quoting from his pastoral report during the midst of WWII: We can do without rubber, but we can't do without repentance; we can do without sugar, but we can't do without salvation; we can do without gasoline, but we can't do without God; we can do without washing machines, but we can't do without worship. Thirty-three ministers served us from 1850 to 1900, and seventeen from 1900-1950. On November 19, 1950 we celebrated our 100th anniversary of the first church having been built. Two hundred people attended the morning worship service, when Dr. Warren W. Wiant, newly appointed District Superintendent, delivered the sermon, Blueprints of Tomorrow. The 1950s saw many building improvements, but the most significant was the addition of the educational wing and Fellowship Hall in 1957. Faith was alive with activity during this time. The Christmas season brought youth and adult dramas and pageants including the live, outdoor nativity scene. Rev. William Patterson served from 1956-59 and got the youth involved through dramas that he produced with the very able assistance of Mrs. William (Virginia ) Hockman. The Music Ministry was also strong with a Chancel choir, directed by Mrs. Earl (Onalee ) Kantner, as well as a Children's Choir, directed by Mrs. John (Dottie ) Derr. The Progressive Class initiated the Chicken Barbecue suppers in June 1957 donating the profits from this to the building fund. The Chicken Barbecue tradition continues today, with proceeds benefiting mission projects in the Canal Winchester area. In 1968 the church name was changed from the Canal Winchester Methodist Church to Faith United Methodist Church. Ten years later in 1978 a r