Elgin is a city in Union County, Oregon, United States. The population was 1,654 at the 2000 census. The 2007 estimate is 1,685 residents. The community is named after the Lady Elgin, a ship lost on Lake Michigan.
The city is known for the Elgin Opera House, originally dedicated in 1912.
The area of Elgin was previously called "Fish Trap" and "Indian Valley." The city was platted in 1886 following the washout of Ruckles Road over the Blue Mountains, which caused investors to leave nearby Summerville for Elgin.