Long Creek, OR
Long Creek is a city in Grant County, Oregon, United States. The population was 228 at the 2000 census. The city is named after John Long, a prominent miner who came to Grant County in 1862 during the Canyon City rush of that same year. Located in a high valley of the Blue Mountains, ranching has been the principal enterprise for the area. Log harvesting was slowly curtailed in the nearby Malheur National Forest until the local mill was closed in 1998.
The city was incorporated in 1891. At the 1900 census the city recorded 123 residents. Long Creek fell to 86 people in 1910, and then rebounded to 148 at 1920's census. After dipping to 139 people in 1930, the city saw steady population growth for several decades with population numbers of 238 in 1940, 288 in 1950, and topping out at 295 residents in 1960. By 1970 the city had fallen to 196 people, and then grew back to 252 people in 1980, before dropping to 249 citizens at the 1990 census.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 1.0 square miles (2.6 km²), all of it land.