Bellefonte is a borough in Centre County, Pennsylvania, United States. It lies about twelve miles northeast of State College and is part of the State College, Pennsylvania Metropolitan Statistical Area. It is the county seat of Centre County with the courthouse located downtown on the square. The town features many examples of Victorian architecture, as well as a natural spring, from which the town gets its name (bestowed by Charles Maurice de Talleyrand-Périgord during a land-speculation visit to central Pennsylvania in the 1790s). However the spring, which serves as the town's water supply, has been covered to comply with DEP water purity laws (not, as is commonly believed, for fear of its being poisoned). One of the town's historic sections experienced a renaissance in 2004. The Match Factory (officially the Pennsylvania Match Company), after standing vacant since 1947, was being renovated by the American Philatelic Society as their new home, one building at a time. The site was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2001 and the town was anxious to find an appropriate owner for the historic property. The town is also home to five of Pennsylvania's governors as well as two other governors. There is a monument in Talleyrand Park showing them.
Bellefonte is located in the Nittany Valley of the Ridge and Valley Appalachians at 40°54′53″N 77°46′29″W / 40.91472°N 77.77472°W / 40.91472; -77.77472 (40.914684, -77.774756).
It lies 10 miles northeast of State College, Pennsylvania.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 1.8 square miles (4.7 km²), all of it land.