Burgettstown is a borough in Washington County, Pennsylvania, United States. It is a suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The population was 1,576 according to the 2000 census.
According to "A History of Washington County, Pennsylvania" by Earle R. Forrest (1926), the original plot of Burgettstown was surveyed February 28, 1795, by Peter Kidd, surveyor for George Burgett. Sebastian Burgett, the first settler there, built Burgett’s fort and grist mill about 1773, and this was an important point in the early settlement of that section of the county. The original name of the town laid out in 1795 was West Boston (named after Boston Burgett). The growth of the town was slow for many years, and until 1910 it was a country village, the center of a substantial farming community. A postoffice was opened January 1. 1811. with Thomas Miller as the first postmaster. The original section known as “Old Town,” was some distance from the railroad station, established when the Panhandle railway was completed in 1865, at which time another postoffice was established and conducted for many years. The intervening space between the two villages was gradually built until they formed one town. A movement to incorporate into a borough was started as early as 1854, but was not successful until March 23, 1881, when a charter was granted by the court.
Burgettstown is located at 40°22′51″N 80°23′28″W / 40.38083°N 80.39111°W / 40.38083; -80.39111 (40.380844, -80.391047).