Ellwood City, PA
Ellwood City is a borough in Beaver and Lawrence counties in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. Ellwood City is 30 miles (48 km) northwest of Pittsburgh and some 8 miles (13 km) south by southeast of New Castle. In the past, Ellwood City sustained many light industries such as steel-tube mills, steel-car works, building-stone and limestone quarries, foundries and machine shops, coal-mining, etc. In 1900, 2,243 people lived in Ellwood City, 3,902 lived there in 1910, and 12,329 lived there in 1940. The population was 8,688 at the 2000 census. The 2008 population estimate is 7966.
Per Twentieth Century History of New Castle and Lawrence County, 1908, pages 363-365
Prosperous and thriving borough that it is, with its enormous manufacturing plants which produce millions of dollars’ worth of products and pay hundreds of thousands of dollars in salaries, yearly, with its well stocked stores and its modern homes, Ellwood City, located within the limits of Wayne Township, has a history which dates back less than a score of years. It is the home of such plants as those of the American Steel Car Forge Company, Glen Manufacturing Company, Ellwood Foundry Company, Standard Engineering Company, National Tube Company, Ellwood City Glass Company, Ellwood Brick and Limestone Company, Standard Tube Company, the Tindel-Morris Company, the Oarlock Packing Company, the National Supply and Construction Company and the Ellwood Lumber Company. However these past few years have really hurt the town's economy. Nevertheless a new business has taken hold, Adam's Manufacturing.