Kutztown is a borough in Berks County, Pennsylvania, 18 miles (29 km) southwest of Allentown and 17 miles (27 km) northeast of Reading. As of the 2000 census, the borough has a total population of 5,067. It is the site of Kutztown University.
George (Coots) Kutz purchased 130 acres (0.53 km2) of land that became Kutztown on June 16, 1755, from Peter Wentz, who owned much of what is now Maxatawny Township. Kutz first laid out his plans for the town in 1779. The first lots in the new town of Cootstown (later renamed Kutztown) were purchased in 1785 by Adam Dietrich and Henry Schweier.
Kutztown was incorporated as a borough on April 7, 1815, and is the second oldest borough in Berks County after Reading, which became a borough in 1783 and became a city in 1847.