Munhall is a borough in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania on the west bank of the Monongahela river, eight miles (13 km) south of the confluence of the Monongahela and the Allegheny rivers where the Ohio river begins. It abuts Homestead. A large part of the Homestead Works of the Carnegie Steel Company existed in Munhall. Steel products were the only items made in Munhall in 1910 when 5,185 people lived here. In 1940, 13,900 people lived in Munhall. The population was 12,264 at the 2000 census. Munhall, along with the boroughs of Homestead and West Homestead, are served by the Steel Valley School District.
The Homestead Library, located in Munhall, was donated by Andrew Carnegie in 1896. It has been restored and modernized during the last quarter of a century. New electrical lighting has been installed; computers for the use of visitors have been installed; the indoors gloominess has vanished. Additionally, there are indoor pools, basketball courts, and other recreational facilities.
In 2000, Continental Realestate Companies opened The Waterfront. This large "LifeStyle" shopping center was built on the former site of the Carnegie Steel Works. Most of the structures associated with the steel mills on this site were demolished during construction. Still standing in the Waterfront development are some of the brick stacks from the Homestead Steel Works. In addition, near the river is a former mill structure known as the Pump House which was restored by the developer.