Shamokin Dam, PA
Shamokin Dam is a small borough in Snyder County, Pennsylvania, United States. The name is derived from a 10-foot-tall (3.0 m) dam that was built across the Susquehanna River in the 19th century. The dam supported steamboat ferries run by Ira T. Clement, which transported goods and people between Shamokin Dam and the city of Sunbury on the Northumberland County side of the river. These ferries operated from 1772 until the Bainbridge Street Bridge was built in 1907. The dam also provided water to the Susquehanna Division of the Pennsylvania Canal System which was constructed on the western bank of the river. The dam was destroyed by ice in March 1904.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the borough has a total area of 1.9 square miles (4.9 km²), of which 1.8 square miles (4.7 km²) is land and 0.1 square miles (0.1 km²) (2.66%) is water.
Shamokin Dam sits on the western bank of the Susquehanna River just south of the confluence of the river's west and north branches. The borough is also bordered by the community of Hummels Wharf, Monroe Township, and U.S. Route 15.