Sharpsburg is a borough in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, five miles (8 km) northeast of Pittsburgh, along the Allegheny River. In the past, it had a rolling mill, foundries, machine shops, and manufacturers of varnish, brick, glass, lumber products, wire, hair, felt, and lubricating oil. In 1900, 6,842 people lived here; in 1910, 8,153 lived here; and in 1940, 8,202 people lived in Sharpsburg. The population was 3,594 at the 2000 census.
The H. J. Heinz Company originated in Sharpsburg.
Sharpsburg is located at 40°29′43″N 79°55′44″W / 40.49528°N 79.92889°W / 40.49528; -79.92889 (40.495368, -79.928991).