Spring Grove, PA
Spring Grove is a borough in York County, Pennsylvania, United States. The population was 2,050 at the 2000 census.
The site of Spring Grove was laid out in 1747 on the banks of Codorus Creek, midway between York City and Hanover, by a surveyor for the Penns. Its growth since that time falls into two periods, each lasting approximately 100 years. The first witnessed development of the Borough as an iron-making center. The second, which extends to the present day, is as a papermaking center. The businesses of both periods have relied on certain natural resources of the area.
Originally, Spring Grove was a part of Paradise Township and was contained within the boundaries of Lancaster County. York County was formed in 1749 and Jackson Township including Spring Grove, in 1853. The residents of the community petitioned the County Court in 1882 for incorporation as a borough, and in August of that year their petition was granted. Since that time, the Borough has grown in area as a result of annexation of the surrounding land, the largest annexation having taken place in 1953.