West Newton, PA
West Newton, located 24.5 miles (53 km) southeast of Pittsburgh, is a borough in Westmoreland County in the U.S. state of Pennsylvania. Formerly, the manufacture of radiators and boilers were the chief industries. In 1900, the people living there numbered 2,467. In 1910, 2,880 people lived there. The population was 3,083 at the 2000 census.
The town traces its roots to 1788, when a group of American pioneers to the Northwest Territory led by Gen. Rufus Putnam traveled overland from Massachusetts and stopped at this location to build boats. They then set out down the Youghiogheny River to the Monogahela and Ohio Rivers, ending their journey and founding the town of Marietta, Ohio. Former names of the town are Simeral's Ferry (also, Sumrill’s Ferry) and Robbstown.
West Newton is located at 40°12′34″N 79°46′9″W / 40.20944°N 79.76917°W / 40.20944; -79.76917 (40.209378, -79.769157).