York Springs, PA
York Springs Map
York Sulphur Springs, the first summer resort in Adams County, was patronized by persons from Philadelphia and Baltimore who came to the resort by stage coach.
The land upon which the Springs was built on a tract owned by the Wiermans. When first settlements were made, the original building conformed to the plan of too many of the older taverns and housed only fifty guests. The later building was erected partly on the old foundation about 1790. A cross wing or section in the rear made a perfect T formation. A colonnade extended along both sides of the main building, forming delightful balconies. The hotel was beautiful, most attractive and symmetrical. The lawns, walks, rustic bridges and arbors were kept in perfect condition. Not only the lawns but the nearby woods were swept with brooms.