Lake City, SC
Lake City is a city in Florence County, South Carolina, United States. The population was 6,478 at the 2000 census (8,728 total pop. of Lake City Urban Cluster). Located in central South Carolina, it is south of Florence and included as part of the Florence Metropolitan Statistical Area.
The Lake City area was originally part of Williamsburg Township, which was first settled by a group of Scotch-Irish in 1736. It was first called Graham's Crossroads and then Graham, after Aaron Graham, a land owner around the crossroads that now form Church and Main Streets in Lake City.
In 1856, the Northeastern Railroad built its main line through the area. This brought new growth to the community and on March 4, 1874, after requests from residents, a city charter was granted to the new town of Graham. On December 24, 1883, the town changed its name to Lake City, after the swimming lakes just north of town. This was at the request of the locally-serving Lynches Lake Post Office, since there was another post office in South Carolina known as that.