Pinopolis is an unincorporated community in Berkeley County, South Carolina, United States. Founded circa 1845, it was established at a high elevation in the "low country" of South Carolina and it gave an escape from mosquitoes and uncomfortable heat. It became a gathering place for those of means during this time. It shared this aspect with other communities throughout the plantation economy of this era.
A lady resident spontaneously coined the name "Pinopolis" because of the many pine trees. This is probably a reflection of schooling that included references to Greek and Latin.
During the pre-Civil War period it developed in this way and maintained as a place of polish and refinement. In the post-Civil War period and during the change of the South, it became the location of the first elementary school for black students.